Real Time Web Analytics

Friday, December 30, 2016

Super Smash Flash 2 Tournament Review 12/29/16

Some of you guys may have been wondering what we ranked in the tourney (I doubt it). Unfortunately, both Realfail and I weren't able to make the tournament because life got in the way :/

Sorry for all of the hype up only for nothing to happen in the end, but since we didn't participate, why don't I talk about those who did? Specifically, the Grand Finals, between SoldierSunday and Incinerate.

SoldierSunday won the Grand Finals 3-0. He had a very dominating tournament overall. 

Although Incinerate fought a tough battle until the end. SoldierSunday came out on top.

I secretly was rooting for Incinerate since he/she was also using my main (Zelda). I thought that he/she used Zelda well although there are a few things that I would critique:


Game 1
Game 1 was pretty onesided towards Soldier. Fox was all over Zelda; Zelda did not have enough time to react to the quick movements of Fox. Although she was able to sneak in and land some combos, overall the game was heavily in Fox's hand.


Game 2

This was a closer game than Game 1. It seemed as if Incinerate was diversifying his play-style to confuse Soldier, and it worked. Fox and Zelda were neck and neck until the end. What got the win for Soldier was an unsafe approach by Incinerate, punished with a bair.

SoldierSunday was definitely doing some risky stuff too.

Game 3
Game 3 was when Soldier switched it up, and decided to go Marth instead. As soon as I saw that I knew Incinerate was done for. Marth is a good counter to Zelda, it out-ranges and out-prioritizes most of Zelda's attack. Also, since Zelda herself tends to stay further from her opponent, tippers are more of a threat, and one did occur in this game.

What I would have suggested as a Zelda player myself would be to try and back away from Marth and use Din's Fire as a way to zone and safely approach Marth. A direct approach will lead to some serious 0-death comboing, and no one wants that.

Also, I was disappointed that I didn't see as many nairs as I did. Zelda's nair IMO is so good because it's a great move for zoning out aggressive characters like Fox and to a lesser extent Marth. If say for example, Fox is aggressively pressuring you, a nair out of shield will put him in his place. Zelda's nair also has a large hitbox and it also stacks up on some damage too.


Overall both put up an amazing fight, but what I feel was the deciding factor that lead to SoldierSunday's victory was his crisp movement. It seemed like he had more experience with the game. I also assume that he/she must've hooked up a controller to his/her PC to make it easier to control.

Job well done to everyone who gave it their all. 

Congratulations SoldierSunday! You earned it!

I wish I were as good as you, unfortunately I'm still a noob so you'd wreck me.

Noobs will be noobs am I right?




No comments:

Post a Comment